A new study found a link between higher stress and the number of Facebook friends a person has.
The study from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland said stress levels seem to climb with every Facebook friend people add.
Melissa Flint, a psychologist with Midwestern University, said people need to understand the difference between a Facebook friend and a real friend.
“If you’re putting out whatever is on your mind and you have 900 Facebook friends, somebody might be offended and shoot something back,” she said. “It becomes a battleground.”
Flint said that battlefield creates a great deal of anxiety for some people who posted seeking approval and instead found themselves in a war of words.
“A lot of people feel like they can post things that they wouldn’t say to a person if that person were standing right in front of them,” she said.
Many people have Facebook friends that play games with people that they may have met only once. Flint said many of those people don’t share your beliefs.
“Don’t consider them in your friends circle. Your ‘friends.’ You need to carefully consider who you call a friend and that has become very loose. You need to set boundaries. Choosing your battles wisely really comes into play on Facebook. Facebook was never meant to be the entirety of our relationships and for a lot of people it has become that and that’s not how we’re meant to live.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths