A new study found a link between higher stress and the number of Facebook friends a person has.
The study from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland said stress levels seem to climb with every Facebook friend people add.
Melissa Flint, a psychologist with Midwestern University, said people need to understand the difference between a Facebook friend and a real friend.
“If you’re putting out whatever is on your mind and you have 900 Facebook friends, somebody might be offended and shoot something back,” she said. “It becomes a battleground.”
Flint said that battlefield creates a great deal of anxiety for some people who posted seeking approval and instead found themselves in a war of words.
“A lot of people feel like they can post things that they wouldn’t say to a person if that person were standing right in front of them,” she said.
Many people have Facebook friends that play games with people that they may have met only once. Flint said many of those people don’t share your beliefs.
“Don’t consider them in your friends circle. Your ‘friends.’ You need to carefully consider who you call a friend and that has become very loose. You need to set boundaries. Choosing your battles wisely really comes into play on Facebook. Facebook was never meant to be the entirety of our relationships and for a lot of people it has become that and that’s not how we’re meant to live.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them