A new study found a link between higher stress and the number of Facebook friends a person has.
The study from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland said stress levels seem to climb with every Facebook friend people add.
Melissa Flint, a psychologist with Midwestern University, said people need to understand the difference between a Facebook friend and a real friend.
“If you’re putting out whatever is on your mind and you have 900 Facebook friends, somebody might be offended and shoot something back,” she said. “It becomes a battleground.”
Flint said that battlefield creates a great deal of anxiety for some people who posted seeking approval and instead found themselves in a war of words.
“A lot of people feel like they can post things that they wouldn’t say to a person if that person were standing right in front of them,” she said.
Many people have Facebook friends that play games with people that they may have met only once. Flint said many of those people don’t share your beliefs.
“Don’t consider them in your friends circle. Your ‘friends.’ You need to carefully consider who you call a friend and that has become very loose. You need to set boundaries. Choosing your battles wisely really comes into play on Facebook. Facebook was never meant to be the entirety of our relationships and for a lot of people it has become that and that’s not how we’re meant to live.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona