If you're justifying your Powerball ticket purchases by assuming the profits go to a good cause, think again.
Many believe the money from Powerball sales goes to help education, but about 72 cents of every dollar goes doesn’t make it to a school’s budget, according to NBC News.
Powerball winners receive about 60 cents of every lottery dollar, and a portion of the money goes to an Italian-based company that operates lotteries in 50 countries.
States can receive as little as 11 cents to pay for government services, according to the NBC article.
Some experts criticize lotteries, claiming they are not an effective way to raise funds.
“It’s a very regressive tax,” Lucy Dadayan, a senior policy analyst at the Rockefeller Institute of Government, told NBC. “And any time a government relies on a regressive tax it's not the best policy option. But it’s easier for state officials to promote gambling rather than to increase income taxes or sales taxes.”
Others say governments can’t go without lotteries, and that programs and services, like education and social services, would struggle.
“If lotteries were not in existence those programs and services would be cut or they would have to be funded through another source,” David Gale, executive director of the North American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries, told NBC News.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon