In 2007, the unimaginable happened to Nancy Bonner. Her son, Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly, was killed in the line of duty.
“Tony was always a very special young man,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Thursday. “I know I’m his mom, but anyone whoever met him agreed.”
Holly joined the Air Force out of high school and, wanting to continue his service, joined the Glendale Police Department four years later. However, Bonner said his love had always been working with children.
“He was always very passionate about helping kids, even when he was young,” she said, adding that Holly coached a Little League team while in the Air Force and was also a participant in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.
After Holly’s death, Bonner decided to start the Anthony Holly Foundation, designed to help children around the Valley.
“Our biggest focus has been on needy kids,” she said, adding that all funds donated to the foundation go to helping children build self-esteem and confidence. The foundation does not pay its workers.
Bonner said the foundation, through a program called Shop with a Cop, pairs a police officer with a child in need so the pair can spend time together. The foundation also funds field trips, zoo camps and other activities.
To donate to the Anthony Holly Foundation, go to anthonyhollyfoundation.org.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain