In 2007, the unimaginable happened to Nancy Bonner. Her son, Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly, was killed in the line of duty.
“Tony was always a very special young man,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Thursday. “I know I’m his mom, but anyone whoever met him agreed.”
Holly joined the Air Force out of high school and, wanting to continue his service, joined the Glendale Police Department four years later. However, Bonner said his love had always been working with children.
“He was always very passionate about helping kids, even when he was young,” she said, adding that Holly coached a Little League team while in the Air Force and was also a participant in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.
After Holly’s death, Bonner decided to start the Anthony Holly Foundation, designed to help children around the Valley.
“Our biggest focus has been on needy kids,” she said, adding that all funds donated to the foundation go to helping children build self-esteem and confidence. The foundation does not pay its workers.
Bonner said the foundation, through a program called Shop with a Cop, pairs a police officer with a child in need so the pair can spend time together. The foundation also funds field trips, zoo camps and other activities.
To donate to the Anthony Holly Foundation, go to anthonyhollyfoundation.org.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development