In 2007, the unimaginable happened to Nancy Bonner. Her son, Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly, was killed in the line of duty.
“Tony was always a very special young man,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Thursday. “I know I’m his mom, but anyone whoever met him agreed.”
Holly joined the Air Force out of high school and, wanting to continue his service, joined the Glendale Police Department four years later. However, Bonner said his love had always been working with children.
“He was always very passionate about helping kids, even when he was young,” she said, adding that Holly coached a Little League team while in the Air Force and was also a participant in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.
After Holly’s death, Bonner decided to start the Anthony Holly Foundation, designed to help children around the Valley.
“Our biggest focus has been on needy kids,” she said, adding that all funds donated to the foundation go to helping children build self-esteem and confidence. The foundation does not pay its workers.
Bonner said the foundation, through a program called Shop with a Cop, pairs a police officer with a child in need so the pair can spend time together. The foundation also funds field trips, zoo camps and other activities.
To donate to the Anthony Holly Foundation, go to anthonyhollyfoundation.org.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona