In 2007, the unimaginable happened to Nancy Bonner. Her son, Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly, was killed in the line of duty.
“Tony was always a very special young man,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Thursday. “I know I’m his mom, but anyone whoever met him agreed.”
Holly joined the Air Force out of high school and, wanting to continue his service, joined the Glendale Police Department four years later. However, Bonner said his love had always been working with children.
“He was always very passionate about helping kids, even when he was young,” she said, adding that Holly coached a Little League team while in the Air Force and was also a participant in the Big Brother/Big Sister program.
After Holly’s death, Bonner decided to start the Anthony Holly Foundation, designed to help children around the Valley.
“Our biggest focus has been on needy kids,” she said, adding that all funds donated to the foundation go to helping children build self-esteem and confidence. The foundation does not pay its workers.
Bonner said the foundation, through a program called Shop with a Cop, pairs a police officer with a child in need so the pair can spend time together. The foundation also funds field trips, zoo camps and other activities.
To donate to the Anthony Holly Foundation, go to anthonyhollyfoundation.org.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas