FOUNTAIN HILLS, Ariz. – A former youth pastor, 63-year-old Mark Derksen, Sr., of Faith Mountain Christian Church in Fountain Hills is accused of selling drugs.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said it took deputies 24 hours to go from undercover buys at Derksen’s apartment to an arrest but there’s a lot more work to be done in the investigation.
“We seized his cell phone, we seized his computers so we’re going to go through every name to see who in this town are using drugs,” Arpaio said.
Heroin, meth and prescription drugs were found at Derksen’s home. MCSO first received a tip that Derksen may have been selling drugs two years ago but Arpaio said the department did not have enough evidence to go on at that time.
What Arpaio finds disturbing in this case is that investigators believe Derksen was giving drugs out to customers for free in order to get them hooked and build clientele. Another person in the Fountain Hills apartment, 36-year-old Kelly Hovey, was also arrested for outstanding drug warrants and possession of illegal substances.
Arpaio said his office believes 30 people visited Derksen’s apartment Tuesday. Derksen is currently in the hospital and not speaking with authorities.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development