GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Glendale City Council has approved a $320 million deal to keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena. Those who opposed the deal said the city can’t afford it.
If the naysayers are right, could that lead to cancellation of festivals like Glendale Glitters?
Dozens of people were strolling through the downtown Christmas lights display Wednesday evening, enjoying the display.
Judy Purdy has lived in Glendale for 12 years.
“Back in Illinois, we had a park where they used to have trees,” Purdy said. “They finally had to ask people to donate money towards the lights. If [Glendale] had to do that, I think people would be willing.”
Tiffany Young of Glendale is a big fan of Glendale Glitters.
“It’s a place to get away,” Young said. “I think there’s not too many family oriented things in Arizona that you can do. I think this is one of the good ones.”
And if wasn’t there anymore? “It would be kind of sad,” Young said.
Glendale officials aren’t talking. Deputy communications director Jerry McCoy declined an interview, referring questions instead to Mayor Elaine Scruggs.
Neither Scruggs nor Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers responded to interview requests.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona