GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Glendale City Council has approved a $320 million deal to keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena. Those who opposed the deal said the city can’t afford it.
If the naysayers are right, could that lead to cancellation of festivals like Glendale Glitters?
Dozens of people were strolling through the downtown Christmas lights display Wednesday evening, enjoying the display.
Judy Purdy has lived in Glendale for 12 years.
“Back in Illinois, we had a park where they used to have trees,” Purdy said. “They finally had to ask people to donate money towards the lights. If [Glendale] had to do that, I think people would be willing.”
Tiffany Young of Glendale is a big fan of Glendale Glitters.
“It’s a place to get away,” Young said. “I think there’s not too many family oriented things in Arizona that you can do. I think this is one of the good ones.”
And if wasn’t there anymore? “It would be kind of sad,” Young said.
Glendale officials aren’t talking. Deputy communications director Jerry McCoy declined an interview, referring questions instead to Mayor Elaine Scruggs.
Neither Scruggs nor Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers responded to interview requests.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon