GLENDALE, Ariz. — The Glendale City Council has approved a $320 million deal to keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena. Those who opposed the deal said the city can’t afford it.
If the naysayers are right, could that lead to cancellation of festivals like Glendale Glitters?
Dozens of people were strolling through the downtown Christmas lights display Wednesday evening, enjoying the display.
Judy Purdy has lived in Glendale for 12 years.
“Back in Illinois, we had a park where they used to have trees,” Purdy said. “They finally had to ask people to donate money towards the lights. If [Glendale] had to do that, I think people would be willing.”
Tiffany Young of Glendale is a big fan of Glendale Glitters.
“It’s a place to get away,” Young said. “I think there’s not too many family oriented things in Arizona that you can do. I think this is one of the good ones.”
And if wasn’t there anymore? “It would be kind of sad,” Young said.
Glendale officials aren’t talking. Deputy communications director Jerry McCoy declined an interview, referring questions instead to Mayor Elaine Scruggs.
Neither Scruggs nor Mayor-elect Jerry Weiers responded to interview requests.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.