The United Way has numerous charities under its umbrella, but lately has focused itself on several key areas: ensuring the success of young children, helping people reach financial stability and ending both hunger and homelessness.
While the goals are difficult to achieve, Amy Schwabenlender, the vice president of the Valley of the Sun United Way, said the group is directing all of its financial resources to the aforementioned key areas.
“Those are now how we focus all of our financial investments, our staff resources,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck, adding that the organization hopes to reach its goals by 2020.
Schwabenlender said United Way is attempting to humanize the 82,000 households in Maricopa County who are constantly wondering where their next meal is coming from.
“Giving that number of 82,000 has made it more understandable for the general public to hear that number,” she said, adding that the total number of people going hungry is about 250,000.
“A town in Maricopa County is roughly that same number. Once people can visualize a whole town here equals that number, I think that helps them to think about it in a different way.”
Schwabenlender said most of the hungry households are a single-parent situation, possibly at risk of homelessness due to low income. Another 20 percent of the households are seniors.
“They’re living on limited budgets,” she said. “They’re in the same position of picking what bills to pay each month.”
Schwabenlender said all of the donations received in Maricopa County stay in Maricopa County.
To donate to the Valley of the Sun United Way, go to vsuw.org.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas