The United Way has numerous charities under its umbrella, but lately has focused itself on several key areas: ensuring the success of young children, helping people reach financial stability and ending both hunger and homelessness.
While the goals are difficult to achieve, Amy Schwabenlender, the vice president of the Valley of the Sun United Way, said the group is directing all of its financial resources to the aforementioned key areas.
“Those are now how we focus all of our financial investments, our staff resources,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck, adding that the organization hopes to reach its goals by 2020.
Schwabenlender said United Way is attempting to humanize the 82,000 households in Maricopa County who are constantly wondering where their next meal is coming from.
“Giving that number of 82,000 has made it more understandable for the general public to hear that number,” she said, adding that the total number of people going hungry is about 250,000.
“A town in Maricopa County is roughly that same number. Once people can visualize a whole town here equals that number, I think that helps them to think about it in a different way.”
Schwabenlender said most of the hungry households are a single-parent situation, possibly at risk of homelessness due to low income. Another 20 percent of the households are seniors.
“They’re living on limited budgets,” she said. “They’re in the same position of picking what bills to pay each month.”
Schwabenlender said all of the donations received in Maricopa County stay in Maricopa County.
To donate to the Valley of the Sun United Way, go to vsuw.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets