The arrest of a Valley couple by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office points to a potentially serious problem within Arizona’s family court system.
“There appears to be very little checks and balances with anyone who wants to be certified as a court-appointed provider of these types of services, whether it’s psychiatric care for children, or managing visitation rights, and so and so forth,” said Sgt. Brandon Jones with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
Today, armed with a search warrant, deputies moved in on a residence and business,Legacy Family and Children’s Services, owned and operated by Ciara and Michael Coultrap of Mesa. It’s alleged that that the couple “defrauded the Maricopa County court system, as well as dozens of families, by improperly providing child custody mediation services for which they are not professionally qualified.”
“It’s scary. I don’t know what type of things these people have put the children through. It’s just sad to use children for personal gain,” said Jones.
According to MCSO, Ciara Coultrap pretended to be a professional therapist with a doctoral degree. She and her husband have been providing mediation and supervised visitation services to the courts and county families since 2009.
It’s too early in the investigation to determine just how many families have been impacted by the alleged fraudulent services of the pair and MCSO is urging anyone who may have used the couple’s services to call them immediately.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier