The arrest of a Valley couple by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office points to a potentially serious problem within Arizona’s family court system.
“There appears to be very little checks and balances with anyone who wants to be certified as a court-appointed provider of these types of services, whether it’s psychiatric care for children, or managing visitation rights, and so and so forth,” said Sgt. Brandon Jones with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
Today, armed with a search warrant, deputies moved in on a residence and business,Legacy Family and Children’s Services, owned and operated by Ciara and Michael Coultrap of Mesa. It’s alleged that that the couple “defrauded the Maricopa County court system, as well as dozens of families, by improperly providing child custody mediation services for which they are not professionally qualified.”
“It’s scary. I don’t know what type of things these people have put the children through. It’s just sad to use children for personal gain,” said Jones.
According to MCSO, Ciara Coultrap pretended to be a professional therapist with a doctoral degree. She and her husband have been providing mediation and supervised visitation services to the courts and county families since 2009.
It’s too early in the investigation to determine just how many families have been impacted by the alleged fraudulent services of the pair and MCSO is urging anyone who may have used the couple’s services to call them immediately.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development