The children that play with your kids at school or the ones that live down the street might be going to bed hungry.
“One-in-four children in Arizona is currently living in poverty, which translates to the fifth-highest rate in the nation,” said Pastor Bob Fesmire from Christ’s Church of the Valley (CCV).
“We found out that 600,000 students are receiving free or reduced meals, breakfast and lunch, at school,” he said. “Then we started hearing about teachers who were filling backpacks for the weekend because the kids weren’t getting those meals because school’s out.”
According to church officials, when school lets out for winter break, these children will have to go without adequate nourishment. For that reason, CCV is collecting food for the Family to Family community service project to provide food for the two-week winter break to 4,000 families whose children participate in free- and reduced-meal plans at schools across the Valley.
The church is working with the Deer Valley, Dysart, Paradise Valley, Peoria and Scottsdale school districts, all of which are located in close proximity with one of the three CCV campuses.
“Within these districts, CCV is providing food to every school that has 75 percent or more of their enrollment receiving free or reduced meals,” said Fesmire.
CCV will continue to collecting boxes of food through Dec. 16. Those who want to participate can stop by any one of the church campuses in Peoria, Scottsdale and Surprise. Those interested in participating in this project can pick up a box and fill it up with just 23 items.
A comprehensive list of what is most needed is available at ccvonline.com.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever