The children that play with your kids at school or the ones that live down the street might be going to bed hungry.
“One-in-four children in Arizona is currently living in poverty, which translates to the fifth-highest rate in the nation,” said Pastor Bob Fesmire from Christ’s Church of the Valley (CCV).
“We found out that 600,000 students are receiving free or reduced meals, breakfast and lunch, at school,” he said. “Then we started hearing about teachers who were filling backpacks for the weekend because the kids weren’t getting those meals because school’s out.”
According to church officials, when school lets out for winter break, these children will have to go without adequate nourishment. For that reason, CCV is collecting food for the Family to Family community service project to provide food for the two-week winter break to 4,000 families whose children participate in free- and reduced-meal plans at schools across the Valley.
The church is working with the Deer Valley, Dysart, Paradise Valley, Peoria and Scottsdale school districts, all of which are located in close proximity with one of the three CCV campuses.
“Within these districts, CCV is providing food to every school that has 75 percent or more of their enrollment receiving free or reduced meals,” said Fesmire.
CCV will continue to collecting boxes of food through Dec. 16. Those who want to participate can stop by any one of the church campuses in Peoria, Scottsdale and Surprise. Those interested in participating in this project can pick up a box and fill it up with just 23 items.
A comprehensive list of what is most needed is available at ccvonline.com.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.