The children that play with your kids at school or the ones that live down the street might be going to bed hungry.
“One-in-four children in Arizona is currently living in poverty, which translates to the fifth-highest rate in the nation,” said Pastor Bob Fesmire from Christ’s Church of the Valley (CCV).
“We found out that 600,000 students are receiving free or reduced meals, breakfast and lunch, at school,” he said. “Then we started hearing about teachers who were filling backpacks for the weekend because the kids weren’t getting those meals because school’s out.”
According to church officials, when school lets out for winter break, these children will have to go without adequate nourishment. For that reason, CCV is collecting food for the Family to Family community service project to provide food for the two-week winter break to 4,000 families whose children participate in free- and reduced-meal plans at schools across the Valley.
The church is working with the Deer Valley, Dysart, Paradise Valley, Peoria and Scottsdale school districts, all of which are located in close proximity with one of the three CCV campuses.
“Within these districts, CCV is providing food to every school that has 75 percent or more of their enrollment receiving free or reduced meals,” said Fesmire.
CCV will continue to collecting boxes of food through Dec. 16. Those who want to participate can stop by any one of the church campuses in Peoria, Scottsdale and Surprise. Those interested in participating in this project can pick up a box and fill it up with just 23 items.
A comprehensive list of what is most needed is available at ccvonline.com.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon