PHOENIX — The holidays are coming and Maricopa County is urging residents to get vaccinated against both the flu and whooping cough.
Maricopa County Health Director Dr. Bob England said family gatherings, just a few short weeks away, are a breeding ground for viruses like the flu.
“It takes a few weeks for the body to build up the antibodies, so don’t put it off any longer.”
England said grandparents are among the most vulnerable to contract the flu.
“If you really want to protect your grandparents, get vaccinated so you don’t bring it to them,” he said. “The flu vaccine doesn’t work as well in older adults so get your flu vaccine. ”
England is also concerned with pregnant women who, like older adults, are at high risk for flu complications.
“If you’re pregnant or trying to get pregnant, get your flu vaccine now,” he said.
England said everyone over the age of six months should have a flu vaccination.
The flu is not England’s only concern. Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is at levels not seen in the United States in more than 50 years, according to Centers for Disease Control and England advised people to be vaccinated against it.
England said pertussis is nothing for adults. Most adults get a hacky little cough, but for infants, it’s a totally different story.
“Most adults have no clue that they’re coughing out germs that could kill an infant,” he said. “We had one infant die here this year. It’s 100 percent preventable.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again