Phoenix Children’s Hospital had a special visitor on Wednesday.
Singer Marie Osmond was there to meet with patients and staff, and to accept a donation of over $1 million to the hospital from Walmart.
“All of the money stays here in Phoenix,” said Osmond. “It goes to the children. It goes to help your kids. Statistically, everybody will use a children’s hospital at some point in their life. I call [donations like this] fire insurance.”
Osmond is the co-founder of the Children’s Miracle Network, which raises money for 170 children’s hospitals throughout the United States and Canada, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“We’re moving on 30 years now of helping children’s hospitals,” she said, jokingly adding “which is amazing, since I’m only 29!”
Osmond is in the Valley this week performing the “Donny and Marie Christmas in Arizona” show at Gammage auditorium in Tempe. She said that Walmart’s donation fits right in with the Christmas spirit.
“To me, Christmas isn’t so much about the gifts as it is the experience. I can’t think of anything that’s a greater experience than knowing that you’re blessing a child’s life.”
The money that Walmart donated was raised by employees through events in their individual stores.
Osmond is also promoting a website, givemiracles.org. It allows peopel to donate online to one of the 170 hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Network, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.