Phoenix Children’s Hospital had a special visitor on Wednesday.
Singer Marie Osmond was there to meet with patients and staff, and to accept a donation of over $1 million to the hospital from Walmart.
“All of the money stays here in Phoenix,” said Osmond. “It goes to the children. It goes to help your kids. Statistically, everybody will use a children’s hospital at some point in their life. I call [donations like this] fire insurance.”
Osmond is the co-founder of the Children’s Miracle Network, which raises money for 170 children’s hospitals throughout the United States and Canada, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“We’re moving on 30 years now of helping children’s hospitals,” she said, jokingly adding “which is amazing, since I’m only 29!”
Osmond is in the Valley this week performing the “Donny and Marie Christmas in Arizona” show at Gammage auditorium in Tempe. She said that Walmart’s donation fits right in with the Christmas spirit.
“To me, Christmas isn’t so much about the gifts as it is the experience. I can’t think of anything that’s a greater experience than knowing that you’re blessing a child’s life.”
The money that Walmart donated was raised by employees through events in their individual stores.
Osmond is also promoting a website, givemiracles.org. It allows peopel to donate online to one of the 170 hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Network, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever