Phoenix Children’s Hospital had a special visitor on Wednesday.
Singer Marie Osmond was there to meet with patients and staff, and to accept a donation of over $1 million to the hospital from Walmart.
“All of the money stays here in Phoenix,” said Osmond. “It goes to the children. It goes to help your kids. Statistically, everybody will use a children’s hospital at some point in their life. I call [donations like this] fire insurance.”
Osmond is the co-founder of the Children’s Miracle Network, which raises money for 170 children’s hospitals throughout the United States and Canada, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
“We’re moving on 30 years now of helping children’s hospitals,” she said, jokingly adding “which is amazing, since I’m only 29!”
Osmond is in the Valley this week performing the “Donny and Marie Christmas in Arizona” show at Gammage auditorium in Tempe. She said that Walmart’s donation fits right in with the Christmas spirit.
“To me, Christmas isn’t so much about the gifts as it is the experience. I can’t think of anything that’s a greater experience than knowing that you’re blessing a child’s life.”
The money that Walmart donated was raised by employees through events in their individual stores.
Osmond is also promoting a website, givemiracles.org. It allows peopel to donate online to one of the 170 hospitals in the Children’s Miracle Network, including Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon