A suspect has been arrested in connection with a shooting that put a Mesa elementary school on lockdown on Wednesday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies were called to a home at 414 S. 97th Ave. after shots were fired. The house has had prior drug activity.
According to MCSO, the shooting victim, Bryan Berg, 30, began a confrontation with the suspect, 20-year-old Lucas Orf outside of the home. During the argument, Orf allegedly fired a shot into the ground and another at Berg, striking him in the leg.
Witnesses said that multiple people fled the area on foot after the shooting and that drug activity was on-going at the time of the shooting. It is unknown if the confrontation was over drugs.
Berg was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Orf was arrested on outstanding warrants and will likely face additional charges.
Five people believed to have fled the home were also detained by police.
Nearby Stevenson Elementary School was put on lockdown for about one hour while MCSO attempted to locate Orf. The lockdown was lifted about 4 p.m.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night