A suspect has been arrested in connection with a shooting that put a Mesa elementary school on lockdown on Wednesday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies were called to a home at 414 S. 97th Ave. after shots were fired. The house has had prior drug activity.
According to MCSO, the shooting victim, Bryan Berg, 30, began a confrontation with the suspect, 20-year-old Lucas Orf outside of the home. During the argument, Orf allegedly fired a shot into the ground and another at Berg, striking him in the leg.
Witnesses said that multiple people fled the area on foot after the shooting and that drug activity was on-going at the time of the shooting. It is unknown if the confrontation was over drugs.
Berg was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Orf was arrested on outstanding warrants and will likely face additional charges.
Five people believed to have fled the home were also detained by police.
Nearby Stevenson Elementary School was put on lockdown for about one hour while MCSO attempted to locate Orf. The lockdown was lifted about 4 p.m.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy