A suspect has been arrested in connection with a shooting that put a Mesa elementary school on lockdown on Wednesday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies were called to a home at 414 S. 97th Ave. after shots were fired. The house has had prior drug activity.
According to MCSO, the shooting victim, Bryan Berg, 30, began a confrontation with the suspect, 20-year-old Lucas Orf outside of the home. During the argument, Orf allegedly fired a shot into the ground and another at Berg, striking him in the leg.
Witnesses said that multiple people fled the area on foot after the shooting and that drug activity was on-going at the time of the shooting. It is unknown if the confrontation was over drugs.
Berg was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Orf was arrested on outstanding warrants and will likely face additional charges.
Five people believed to have fled the home were also detained by police.
Nearby Stevenson Elementary School was put on lockdown for about one hour while MCSO attempted to locate Orf. The lockdown was lifted about 4 p.m.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development