A serious accident caused major delays on Interstate 17 in Phoenix on Wednesday.
Bart Graves with the Arizona Department of Public Safety said the wreck involved six vehicles, one of which was a semi-truck carrying diesel fuel.
“Apparently a truck made an evasive move in traffic after the driver of another truck hit the gas pedal prematurely, which caused it to slam into a number of other vehicles,” he said.
Four people were hospitalized with serious injuries, but all are expected to recover.
Graves said the truck has leaked 100 gallons of fuel.
As a result of the accident, all northbound I-17 lanes at the I-17/I-10 interchange near Phoenix Sky Harbor were closed. Traffic was detoured along the I-10 inner loop, where they can reconnect to I-17.
The closed lanes were reopened about 3:45 p.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon