A Pinal County Sheriff’s deputy’s routine patrol at the BHP Mine in San Manuel has led to the arrest of two men suspected of being responsible for a series of copper thefts at the site.
Victor Gutierrez, 46, and Mark Jimenez, 34, both of San Manuel, were taken into custody Nov. 24. The pair admitted to stealing copper for the past year. Law enforcement recovered about 500 pounds of copper wire worth more than $10,000.
BHP has reported several thefts of copper wire in the past year. PCSO includes a stop by the mine during patrol. A deputy came across a hand-dug tunnel while checking the site. He heard movement inside and called other deputies to assist.
An hour later, Gutierrez, wearing a headlamp, stuck his head out of the tunnel and was ordered out. Deputies went in to get Sanchez. Both men were charged with trafficking in stolen property, burglary, possession of burglary tools and aggravated criminal damage.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon