The Arizona Cardinals have lost seven straight games, the Suns and Diamondbacks have struggled, and the NHL lockout is preventing the Phoenix Coyotes from even playing.
Other than Arizona State University beating the University of Arizona in football last week, Valley sports fans have had little reason to cheer.
Fans on the patio of Marcel’s Sports Grill in north Phoenix are frustrated with local sports scene.
“Especially with the Cardinals, it’s a little tough,” said Dan Kingsbury, adding that he’ll keep supporting the local teams. “Sooner or later, you hope that they’re going to turn it around.”
Which team is coming out of the funk first? George Shatoo thinks it’ll be ASU football.
“Their best players right now are sophomores and freshmen. I like them,” he said. “I was up until 11 o’clock at night watching ASU beat the U of A last week. My neighbors next door were screaming.”
Shatoo likes the Suns as well.
“They’re trying to mesh together,” he said. “It’s not happening yet, but I always like them. I always have hope for them.”
However, Shatoo was critical of the Diamondbacks.
“It’s a long way before they’re going to get up there again,” he said. “We love Kirk Gibson, but maybe he’s just too aggressive and thinks his players can do the same things that he did, like running the bases and being very devoted. They can’t.”
As for the Coyotes, customers said they root for them except when they’re playing their favorite team from back home. Shatoo and his brother are Detroit Red Wings fans.
As for the Cardinals, Kingsbury thinks they may be among many NFL teams that soon will be making a head coaching change.
“I saw a recent sports report that said eight coaches will be without a job,” he said. When asked if Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt is among those who could be fired, Kingsbury said “Sure he is and he should be.”
Whisenhunt knows there are people who have that opinion.
“It’s part of the job,” Whisenhunt said after Sunday’s loss to the St. Louis Rams. “There’s a lot of speculation about everything. I think you’ve got to have thick skin.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths