Despite record shopping numbers and a slow economy, the first annual Giving Tuesday is being embraced by Valley charities.
Giving Tuesday encourages shoppers — who dropped billions of dollars of the Thanksgiving holiday — to donate funds to their favorite charity on the Tuesday following the holiday. It began in New York, but several Arizona non-profits are participating, including Southwest Human Development, a charity that seeks to help develop children with disabilities.
“We figured it would be a good way to get the message out to really everybody in the Phoenix metro area about taking a moment after all the craziness of Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kind of embrace the spirit of the season and find a local community charity to give back to and make an impact,” said Kim Carkhuff with SWHD.
Carkhuff said Giving Tuesday is a message charities promote year round, but efforts are focused as the holiday shopping season kicks off.
“We would hope that somewhere in that people can find it in their hearts to give back to the charity of their choice,” she said.
While some would see the big spending weekend and still recovering economy as two massive blockades to donations, Carkhuff said that is not the case.
“I think that people are always looking for a way to give back in a way that’s meaningful and to do something that’s meaningful in their community,” she said. “Even though times have gotten tougher, donors have gotten even more committed to the causes they are really passionate about and really have become a lot smarter about where there money is going.”
Carkhuff said her charity has seen a rise in donors asking where their funds are going and that the onus is on the charity to keep donors informed.
To donate to Southwest Human Development, go to swhd.org
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas