TEMPE, Ariz. — Tempe is giving people with overdue library books an opportunity to settle up and help a local charity at the same time.
All you have to do is raid your kitchen pantry for some canned goods to settle your outstanding library debt.
“What we really need most is protein items: peanut butter, tuna, salmon, canned chicken,” said Kim Baxter-Ging, spokeswoman from the city of Tempe.
Baxter-Ging said the food will go to help the Tempe Community Action Agency, a non-profit group, and a majority of the people they help are families with children.
According to information from the city of Tempe, from Dec. 3 to Dec. 31, for every item of non-perishable food you bring to the Tempe Public Library, the City of Tempe will take a dollar off a tab for overdue materials.
“Each non-perishable item is worth $1 waived from existing library fines, up to $30 or half the account balance, whichever is greater. Food donations must be brought to the library’s main desk, along with the user’s library card or photo ID. Donations can be made only once per account. Expired, unlabeled or homemade items cannot be accepted. Also, library items being returned must be in usable condition and not lost or damaged. Accounts in collection status are not eligible for this program.”
If you don’t have any fines, those interested in helping can stop by and donate food items. Those who do will be entered to win prizes, provided by the Friends of the Tempe Public Library, that include autographed books and gift cards.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths