TEMPE, Ariz. — Tempe is giving people with overdue library books an opportunity to settle up and help a local charity at the same time.
All you have to do is raid your kitchen pantry for some canned goods to settle your outstanding library debt.
“What we really need most is protein items: peanut butter, tuna, salmon, canned chicken,” said Kim Baxter-Ging, spokeswoman from the city of Tempe.
Baxter-Ging said the food will go to help the Tempe Community Action Agency, a non-profit group, and a majority of the people they help are families with children.
According to information from the city of Tempe, from Dec. 3 to Dec. 31, for every item of non-perishable food you bring to the Tempe Public Library, the City of Tempe will take a dollar off a tab for overdue materials.
“Each non-perishable item is worth $1 waived from existing library fines, up to $30 or half the account balance, whichever is greater. Food donations must be brought to the library’s main desk, along with the user’s library card or photo ID. Donations can be made only once per account. Expired, unlabeled or homemade items cannot be accepted. Also, library items being returned must be in usable condition and not lost or damaged. Accounts in collection status are not eligible for this program.”
If you don’t have any fines, those interested in helping can stop by and donate food items. Those who do will be entered to win prizes, provided by the Friends of the Tempe Public Library, that include autographed books and gift cards.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy