PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his annual holiday patrols will take to Valley malls Wednesday.
Arpaio said undercover and uniformed officers will be patrolling the mall lots on foot and horseback for the 19th year. Even the MCSO chopper will be on the job.
“These malls are something you have to worry about,” he said. “Look at the shootings around the nation. [MCSO patrol] … doesn’t cost taxpayers any money.”
Eight shopping centers, including Paradise Valley Mall, will be patrolled.
However, there’s one mall that won’t be on MCSO’s list. Metrocenter didn’t want his patrol last year and he won’t offer up help this year.
“Politics were involved last year, having to do with the illegal immigration enforcement we do,” said Arpaio. “[But] If we think we’re needed there, we will be there whether they want us or not.”
Metrocenter has its own security and off-duty Phoenix police officers will help keep shoppers safe.
In a statement, Metrocenter said its security has reduced on-property car thefts by 95 percent. It’s partnership with Phoenix police has been on-going since 2007.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments