PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his annual holiday patrols will take to Valley malls Wednesday.
Arpaio said undercover and uniformed officers will be patrolling the mall lots on foot and horseback for the 19th year. Even the MCSO chopper will be on the job.
“These malls are something you have to worry about,” he said. “Look at the shootings around the nation. [MCSO patrol] … doesn’t cost taxpayers any money.”
Eight shopping centers, including Paradise Valley Mall, will be patrolled.
However, there’s one mall that won’t be on MCSO’s list. Metrocenter didn’t want his patrol last year and he won’t offer up help this year.
“Politics were involved last year, having to do with the illegal immigration enforcement we do,” said Arpaio. “[But] If we think we’re needed there, we will be there whether they want us or not.”
Metrocenter has its own security and off-duty Phoenix police officers will help keep shoppers safe.
In a statement, Metrocenter said its security has reduced on-property car thefts by 95 percent. It’s partnership with Phoenix police has been on-going since 2007.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain