PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his annual holiday patrols will take to Valley malls Wednesday.
Arpaio said undercover and uniformed officers will be patrolling the mall lots on foot and horseback for the 19th year. Even the MCSO chopper will be on the job.
“These malls are something you have to worry about,” he said. “Look at the shootings around the nation. [MCSO patrol] … doesn’t cost taxpayers any money.”
Eight shopping centers, including Paradise Valley Mall, will be patrolled.
However, there’s one mall that won’t be on MCSO’s list. Metrocenter didn’t want his patrol last year and he won’t offer up help this year.
“Politics were involved last year, having to do with the illegal immigration enforcement we do,” said Arpaio. “[But] If we think we’re needed there, we will be there whether they want us or not.”
Metrocenter has its own security and off-duty Phoenix police officers will help keep shoppers safe.
In a statement, Metrocenter said its security has reduced on-property car thefts by 95 percent. It’s partnership with Phoenix police has been on-going since 2007.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever