A Phoenix man is thankful he’s alive this holiday season, and he was able to thank the firefighters who saved his life on Tuesday.
In 2010, Robert DeWayne was drinking with friends when his heart stopped following an asthma attack.
“From what they say, I was flatlined for about six minutes,” said DeWayne. “They came and responded on the scene and brought me back to life basically.”
Firefighters and paramedics from Phoenix Engine 37 and Rescue 27 responded to the scene. They used the latest in EMS technology, including hypothermic treatment, to save DeWayne’s brain as they revived him. He was rushed to Paradise Valley Hospital, where he was in an induced coma for 11 days.
DeWayne said he doesn’t remember anything until he was well enough to leave the hospital.
Phoenix Fire Captain Brad Parks said firefighters were just doing their job.
“Everybody knew what their roles and responsibilities were, and they performed them flawlessly,” he said. “He’s the reason we do what we do: to help people.”
DeWayne continued living a troubled life after he got out of the hospital. His addiction to drugs and alcohol continued until February of this year, when he was arrested on a warrant for failing to pay child support, and served six months in jail.
Now, DeWayne said he’s accepted Christ and is born again. He has been sober since his arrest. Now out of jail, DeWayne works as a mechanic at Jiffy Lube and he said his life is “beautiful. Everything is great.”
DeWayne said he owes his life to the firefighters.
“People don’t recognize what these people do every day,” he said. “They’re saving people’s lives every day, and I felt it was my duty, as a patient of theirs, to let them know how much I appreciate what they did for me.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon