Hundreds of law enforcement officers gathered at the state capitol Tuesday to launch this year’s crackdown on drunk drivers.
State Highway Director Alberto Gutier said Arizona has some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation, but people keeping thinking they can beat the system.
“It’s a devastating blow to those arrested — financially — and in many cases they lose their jobs,” he said. “They spend time in jail.”
Hundreds of officers will be on the job in the cities and on the highways enforcing the zero tolerance policy for drinking and driving.
Phoenix Fire Captain and Paramedic Lisa Jones has been on numerous calls that involved crashes and deaths because of a drunk driver and will carry those memories with her for life.
“There’s nothing like it,” she said. “The domino effect it has on families who lost loved ones to the firefighters. It never ends. The things I’ve seen I will never forget. It angers us sometimes to get on scene where things could’ve been prevented.”
About 32,000 people were arrested in 2011 for DUI, with 4,000 of them arrested during the holiday season, down by about 600 arrests from 2009-10 holiday.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever