Hundreds of law enforcement officers gathered at the state capitol Tuesday to launch this year’s crackdown on drunk drivers.
State Highway Director Alberto Gutier said Arizona has some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation, but people keeping thinking they can beat the system.
“It’s a devastating blow to those arrested — financially — and in many cases they lose their jobs,” he said. “They spend time in jail.”
Hundreds of officers will be on the job in the cities and on the highways enforcing the zero tolerance policy for drinking and driving.
Phoenix Fire Captain and Paramedic Lisa Jones has been on numerous calls that involved crashes and deaths because of a drunk driver and will carry those memories with her for life.
“There’s nothing like it,” she said. “The domino effect it has on families who lost loved ones to the firefighters. It never ends. The things I’ve seen I will never forget. It angers us sometimes to get on scene where things could’ve been prevented.”
About 32,000 people were arrested in 2011 for DUI, with 4,000 of them arrested during the holiday season, down by about 600 arrests from 2009-10 holiday.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.