The chance at winning Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot is prompting many co-workers to throw their money in the same pot. Before one starts dreaming about how to spend the $425 million, though, it’s important to protect personal assets if the office pool ends up a winner.
“It often helps to just to write down the names of everybody involved, how much they’ve put in the pool, maybe even photocopy the tickets and make sure those are sent around,” said Sean Carroll, hospitality attorney with Gordon & Rees in Phoenix. “Make a paper trail as much as you can.”
Carroll said it’s not necessary to make a contract. As long as one has physical proof that he or she contributed money they should be OK.
“If you want to do a contract ahead of time, that’s fine, but why spend the money to do that if you’re not guaranteed to win it,” Carroll said.
It’s also recommended winners hire a team of money managers and attorneys to protect any winnings.
Carroll said no one wants to end up like the 44 percent of lottery winners that go broke within five years.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee