The chance at winning Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot is prompting many co-workers to throw their money in the same pot. Before one starts dreaming about how to spend the $425 million, though, it’s important to protect personal assets if the office pool ends up a winner.
“It often helps to just to write down the names of everybody involved, how much they’ve put in the pool, maybe even photocopy the tickets and make sure those are sent around,” said Sean Carroll, hospitality attorney with Gordon & Rees in Phoenix. “Make a paper trail as much as you can.”
Carroll said it’s not necessary to make a contract. As long as one has physical proof that he or she contributed money they should be OK.
“If you want to do a contract ahead of time, that’s fine, but why spend the money to do that if you’re not guaranteed to win it,” Carroll said.
It’s also recommended winners hire a team of money managers and attorneys to protect any winnings.
Carroll said no one wants to end up like the 44 percent of lottery winners that go broke within five years.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona