The chance at winning Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot is prompting many co-workers to throw their money in the same pot. Before one starts dreaming about how to spend the $425 million, though, it’s important to protect personal assets if the office pool ends up a winner.
“It often helps to just to write down the names of everybody involved, how much they’ve put in the pool, maybe even photocopy the tickets and make sure those are sent around,” said Sean Carroll, hospitality attorney with Gordon & Rees in Phoenix. “Make a paper trail as much as you can.”
Carroll said it’s not necessary to make a contract. As long as one has physical proof that he or she contributed money they should be OK.
“If you want to do a contract ahead of time, that’s fine, but why spend the money to do that if you’re not guaranteed to win it,” Carroll said.
It’s also recommended winners hire a team of money managers and attorneys to protect any winnings.
Carroll said no one wants to end up like the 44 percent of lottery winners that go broke within five years.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them