PHOENIX — Chance Hart bought a Powerball ticket Monday at his usual spot, the Fuel Stop 101 in midtown. He said he’s been buying lottery tickets regularly for ages, but with the jackpot at $425 million — the largest in history — he’s hoping this time will finally be his lucky break.
“I’d retire my whole family, help out a lot of friends and give a lot of it away,” he said.
Lanae Muldrow, manager of the gas station, said the store sold 470 Powerball tickets Sunday, far above normal daily sales of around 50. That’s due in part due to first-timers drawn in by the big bucks.
“Times are hard right now and it pulls at the lucky heartstrings of people,” she said.
In January, the price of Powerball tickets rose from $1 to $2 apiece, fueling larger jackpots. As of October, sales of multi-state jackpot games like Powerball and Mega Millions were up 13 percent from last year. But as Monday morning, Powerball sales were up 30 percent from last year, according to the Arizona lottery.
“It’s really exciting because the lottery benefits so many people in Arizona,” said Arizona Lottery spokeswoman Karen Bach, noting that about 25 percent of sales support programs approved by the Legislature.
Terry Rich, a spokesman for the Multi-State Lottery Association, which operates the Powerball, said jackpots in the hundreds of millions aren’t a fluke. Raising the ticket price to $2 is creating bigger jackpots faster and more money for participating states.
“Now it takes a couple of hundred million to get people to play,” he said. “Increasing the cost was a way to really differentiate the product.”
At Fuel Stop 101, Hart said he has also noticed an increase in the number of people playing.
“When it gets this large, the lines are just off the chart,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.