A small sign posted inside Hob Nobs Café is generating plenty of smiles.
It reads, “Please let us know if you are a veteran. We have a special surprise for you!”
It all began two years ago with a regular customer who wants to remain anonymous.
“This gentleman comes in about every other day or so here,” said owner Bob Hodge. “Two veterans were in front of him and he said, ‘I’d like to get them their meals.’ And he did.”
Since then the anonymous customer has donated about $200 every month, with the café matching. Hodge estimated they’ve served about $8,000 worth of meals to veterans.
“It’s been really interesting,” he said. “We’ve had some veterans come in and tear up and been so surprised and so pleased by it. A couple of gentlemen came in and they were World War II veterans and they said no one had ever done anything like this for them and they were very, very pleased.”
Hodge and his generous customer has no plans to stop providing free meals to veterans.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food