A small fee caused a tiny commotion at a special Monday meeting of the Arizona Board of Regents.
At issue was the $2 per-student, per-semester fee that’s automatically tacked on to tuition bills.
The state’s three public universities collect the fees on behalf of the Arizona Students’ Association, an independent 501(c)(4) organization that advocates as a collective voice on behalf of students for affordable and accessible higher education. Officials with the Arizona Students’ Association say nearly 80-percent of the students were actually in favor of the fee.
While the $2 fee is automatically added to student bills, they can request refunds, which are mandatory. But critics say the universities should not be collecting cash for an outside group.
Late Monday afternoon, the Board of Regents voted to suspend the collection process for the spring semester while it deliberates permanent policy changes.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development