A small fee caused a tiny commotion at a special Monday meeting of the Arizona Board of Regents.
At issue was the $2 per-student, per-semester fee that’s automatically tacked on to tuition bills.
The state’s three public universities collect the fees on behalf of the Arizona Students’ Association, an independent 501(c)(4) organization that advocates as a collective voice on behalf of students for affordable and accessible higher education. Officials with the Arizona Students’ Association say nearly 80-percent of the students were actually in favor of the fee.
While the $2 fee is automatically added to student bills, they can request refunds, which are mandatory. But critics say the universities should not be collecting cash for an outside group.
Late Monday afternoon, the Board of Regents voted to suspend the collection process for the spring semester while it deliberates permanent policy changes.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food