PHOENIX — Valley mayors are on a mission to improve Arizona schools.
The mayors are joining local business leaders to create a plan to improve education across Arizona.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said educators are at a crossroads since Proposition 204 failed.
“We know that there have been new responsibilities on our schools, tough new standards and, as mayors, we embrace the challenges and, as mayors, we just want to make sure our schools have the resources to get the job done,” he said.
Prop 204 would have extended school revenue, but Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said it’s time to move on.
“We can’t deal with yesterday’s news,” he said. “We have to deal with tomorrow’s realities and tomorrow’s reality is that we have to measure up to educational standards in the 21st century.”
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees