PHOENIX — Valley mayors are on a mission to improve Arizona schools.
The mayors are joining local business leaders to create a plan to improve education across Arizona.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said educators are at a crossroads since Proposition 204 failed.
“We know that there have been new responsibilities on our schools, tough new standards and, as mayors, we embrace the challenges and, as mayors, we just want to make sure our schools have the resources to get the job done,” he said.
Prop 204 would have extended school revenue, but Mesa Mayor Scott Smith said it’s time to move on.
“We can’t deal with yesterday’s news,” he said. “We have to deal with tomorrow’s realities and tomorrow’s reality is that we have to measure up to educational standards in the 21st century.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments