GLENDALE, Ariz. — Christmas is going old school this year: retro toys are hot this holiday season.
At Auntie Em’s Miniatures/Smilin’ Jack’s Pedal Cars in Glendale, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joes and Toy Story figures, like Buzz Lightyear, are selling well. Store owner Letitia Ballengee said toys from the 1950s and ’60s are selling too because people want to buy back their childhood.
“We sell mostly cars and trucks,” she said. “Tonka sells real good because every little boy had a Tonka.”
Ballengee’s place is wall-to-wall toys: Star Wars, Star Trek, Hot Wheels. She said most of her customers are men.
“We had a woman come in one time looking for a pedal car for her husband and give it to him for Christmas and tell him to shut up,” she said. “She was tired of him telling her about the milkman that ran over his pedal car.”
Ballengee said some customers have been looking for a certain toy for years. They walk in and there it is on her shelves. That’s a good feeling, she said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas