GLENDALE, Ariz. — Christmas is going old school this year: retro toys are hot this holiday season.
At Auntie Em’s Miniatures/Smilin’ Jack’s Pedal Cars in Glendale, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, GI Joes and Toy Story figures, like Buzz Lightyear, are selling well. Store owner Letitia Ballengee said toys from the 1950s and ’60s are selling too because people want to buy back their childhood.
“We sell mostly cars and trucks,” she said. “Tonka sells real good because every little boy had a Tonka.”
Ballengee’s place is wall-to-wall toys: Star Wars, Star Trek, Hot Wheels. She said most of her customers are men.
“We had a woman come in one time looking for a pedal car for her husband and give it to him for Christmas and tell him to shut up,” she said. “She was tired of him telling her about the milkman that ran over his pedal car.”
Ballengee said some customers have been looking for a certain toy for years. They walk in and there it is on her shelves. That’s a good feeling, she said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development