PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, with the help of students from John F. Long Elementary in Phoenix, brought holiday cheer to the State Capitol with the lighting of the state’s official Christmas tree.
The kids provided the music and helped Brewer count down the lighting of the tree in the lobby of the executive tower.
The governor said this year’s ceremony holds a special place.
“This lighting is a capstone to Arizona’s centennial year.”
The Capitol tree is a 20-foot Douglas fir from the Tonto National Forest and decorated with ornaments from schoolchildren across the state.
“In honor of the centennial this tree pays homage to the state flag and our five C’s — cattle, cotton, citrus, climate and copper,” said Brewer.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees