PHOENIX — With the holiday season under way, Valley fire departments are reminding people of some simple safety procedures that will keep the coming days enjoyable.
Chief among the threats to happy holidays are home fire hazards. People light candles then forget about them.
“People could light their candles and let them go discarded without paying attention or falling asleep while they’re burning,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer.
Bauer is also concerned about the use of backyard fire pits.
“The fire pits are a concern if people get a little lackadaisical and throw too much wood in, or have too much to drink and fall in,” said Bauer. “It does happen.”
But he said the biggest fire hazard is the Christmas tree. “Letting them dry out, or putting too many lights on them can be a fire hazard,” Bauer said.
“Make sure your lights are in working order. Make sure they are UL-tested, and make sure you don’t have too many hooked together.”
Bauer is also reminding celebrants not to drink and drive. Have a designated driver.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night