PHOENIX — With the holiday season under way, Valley fire departments are reminding people of some simple safety procedures that will keep the coming days enjoyable.
Chief among the threats to happy holidays are home fire hazards. People light candles then forget about them.
“People could light their candles and let them go discarded without paying attention or falling asleep while they’re burning,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer.
Bauer is also concerned about the use of backyard fire pits.
“The fire pits are a concern if people get a little lackadaisical and throw too much wood in, or have too much to drink and fall in,” said Bauer. “It does happen.”
But he said the biggest fire hazard is the Christmas tree. “Letting them dry out, or putting too many lights on them can be a fire hazard,” Bauer said.
“Make sure your lights are in working order. Make sure they are UL-tested, and make sure you don’t have too many hooked together.”
Bauer is also reminding celebrants not to drink and drive. Have a designated driver.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever