PHOENIX — With the holiday season under way, Valley fire departments are reminding people of some simple safety procedures that will keep the coming days enjoyable.
Chief among the threats to happy holidays are home fire hazards. People light candles then forget about them.
“People could light their candles and let them go discarded without paying attention or falling asleep while they’re burning,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Rich Bauer.
Bauer is also concerned about the use of backyard fire pits.
“The fire pits are a concern if people get a little lackadaisical and throw too much wood in, or have too much to drink and fall in,” said Bauer. “It does happen.”
But he said the biggest fire hazard is the Christmas tree. “Letting them dry out, or putting too many lights on them can be a fire hazard,” Bauer said.
“Make sure your lights are in working order. Make sure they are UL-tested, and make sure you don’t have too many hooked together.”
Bauer is also reminding celebrants not to drink and drive. Have a designated driver.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them