PHOENIX — Winter visitors are flocking to the Valley where many are taking on the mountains and finding themselves in danger.
An average of three hikers a year die on Valley trails.
Phoenix Fire carries out more mountain rescues than any other agency in the United States and it has had several rescues recently because of above normal temperatures.
“They’ll climb it and think they can get to a certain point. Think they can push to the summit and that’s where they get in trouble,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Larry Nunez.
Out-of-staters in particular jump to the conclusion that many of the area mountains will be a piece of cake to climb.
“Or they thought they could push themselves further and now they realize it’s that much harder getting back,” Nunez said.
Hikers should know their physical limitations before hitting the trail.
“You really have to look at what you’re wearing and your physical condition,” Nunez said.
And if a hiker has any doubt about climbing a trail or a mountain, Nunez offered one word of advice: Don’t.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona