PHOENIX — Winter visitors are flocking to the Valley where many are taking on the mountains and finding themselves in danger.
An average of three hikers a year die on Valley trails.
Phoenix Fire carries out more mountain rescues than any other agency in the United States and it has had several rescues recently because of above normal temperatures.
“They’ll climb it and think they can get to a certain point. Think they can push to the summit and that’s where they get in trouble,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Larry Nunez.
Out-of-staters in particular jump to the conclusion that many of the area mountains will be a piece of cake to climb.
“Or they thought they could push themselves further and now they realize it’s that much harder getting back,” Nunez said.
Hikers should know their physical limitations before hitting the trail.
“You really have to look at what you’re wearing and your physical condition,” Nunez said.
And if a hiker has any doubt about climbing a trail or a mountain, Nunez offered one word of advice: Don’t.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night