PHOENIX — Winter visitors are flocking to the Valley where many are taking on the mountains and finding themselves in danger.
An average of three hikers a year die on Valley trails.
Phoenix Fire carries out more mountain rescues than any other agency in the United States and it has had several rescues recently because of above normal temperatures.
“They’ll climb it and think they can get to a certain point. Think they can push to the summit and that’s where they get in trouble,” said Phoenix Fire Capt. Larry Nunez.
Out-of-staters in particular jump to the conclusion that many of the area mountains will be a piece of cake to climb.
“Or they thought they could push themselves further and now they realize it’s that much harder getting back,” Nunez said.
Hikers should know their physical limitations before hitting the trail.
“You really have to look at what you’re wearing and your physical condition,” Nunez said.
And if a hiker has any doubt about climbing a trail or a mountain, Nunez offered one word of advice: Don’t.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them