Black Friday starts Thursday night, with shoppers lining up at malls and big box stores in the hopes of scoring a deal.
One way to beat the long lines may be to drive to a big box store in a small town, where there could be fewer customers.
Take Coolidge, for example. It’s about an hour south of Phoenix. It’s miles from Interstate 10, and out of the way for many people in the Phoenix area.
But it has a Wal-Mart.
“If you’re there, and you’re there early, you may avoid some lines and still find a bargain for a terrific price,” said Arizona Retailers Association Executive Director Michelle Ahlmer.
And there are other Big Box stores that may be a bit out of the way, with fewer people waiting in line. There’s a Target store near Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek.
Best Buy shoppers in the northwest valley may think they have to head to Arrowhead Mall. But do they know about the store at Happy Valley Road and Lake Pleasant Parkway near Lake Pleasant?
Ahlmer said there could be a drawback to heading to the Big Box in a rural area.
“The selection may not be as great,” said Ahlmer. “The stores that are in areas with a larger concentration of people tend to stock a larger supply of merchandise.”
But, she notes, many times when a store is out of something, they may offer a rain check.
Ahlmer jokes that this story may have blown your small town plans.
“You’ve let the secret out. If this is on KTAR.com, all of those remote area stores will be sold out,” she said as she laughed.
She said that this story could send some heavy traffic south on Arizona 87 heading for Coolidge in the hopes of finding a bargain.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments