Black Friday starts Thursday night, with shoppers lining up at malls and big box stores in the hopes of scoring a deal.
One way to beat the long lines may be to drive to a big box store in a small town, where there could be fewer customers.
Take Coolidge, for example. It’s about an hour south of Phoenix. It’s miles from Interstate 10, and out of the way for many people in the Phoenix area.
But it has a Wal-Mart.
“If you’re there, and you’re there early, you may avoid some lines and still find a bargain for a terrific price,” said Arizona Retailers Association Executive Director Michelle Ahlmer.
And there are other Big Box stores that may be a bit out of the way, with fewer people waiting in line. There’s a Target store near Schnepf Farms in Queen Creek.
Best Buy shoppers in the northwest valley may think they have to head to Arrowhead Mall. But do they know about the store at Happy Valley Road and Lake Pleasant Parkway near Lake Pleasant?
Ahlmer said there could be a drawback to heading to the Big Box in a rural area.
“The selection may not be as great,” said Ahlmer. “The stores that are in areas with a larger concentration of people tend to stock a larger supply of merchandise.”
But, she notes, many times when a store is out of something, they may offer a rain check.
Ahlmer jokes that this story may have blown your small town plans.
“You’ve let the secret out. If this is on KTAR.com, all of those remote area stores will be sold out,” she said as she laughed.
She said that this story could send some heavy traffic south on Arizona 87 heading for Coolidge in the hopes of finding a bargain.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development