Eating disorders affect millions — 10 million women and at least 1 million men suffer from anorexia or bulimia in the United States. Millions more struggle with binge eating.
Phoenix therapist Chase Kerrey said oftentimes the disorder starts when someone is young, so parents need to watch for the warning signs.
“Increased awareness of body appearance, increased awareness of body image and dissatisfaction, thoughts of rejection.”
Kerrey said parents need to monitor their child’s eating habits year round, not just through the holidays.
“Overall emphasis on food. Overall emphasis on body. Overall emphasis on ‘If I lost weight, life would be better,’ ” Kerrey said.
More than half of teen girls and a third of teen boys said they have used extreme weight control behaviors like skipping meals, fasting, vomiting and taking laxatives.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona