Eating disorders affect millions — 10 million women and at least 1 million men suffer from anorexia or bulimia in the United States. Millions more struggle with binge eating.
Phoenix therapist Chase Kerrey said oftentimes the disorder starts when someone is young, so parents need to watch for the warning signs.
“Increased awareness of body appearance, increased awareness of body image and dissatisfaction, thoughts of rejection.”
Kerrey said parents need to monitor their child’s eating habits year round, not just through the holidays.
“Overall emphasis on food. Overall emphasis on body. Overall emphasis on ‘If I lost weight, life would be better,’ ” Kerrey said.
More than half of teen girls and a third of teen boys said they have used extreme weight control behaviors like skipping meals, fasting, vomiting and taking laxatives.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments