The Arizona Public Interest Research Group has released its 27th Trouble in Toyland report and small toys that are choking hazards remain a threat.
Several toys fall onto group’s list of too loud for little ears category — the Dora the Explorer guitar and a cellphone rattle just to name two.
Monica Flores with the research group said high-decibel toys are a major concern.
“Studies say one in five children will development some degree of hearing loss by the age of 12,” said Flores. “Some of that could be due in part to loud toys. The damage is permanent.”
The group’s interactive website can help parents buying toys this holiday season.
A simple tip for parents is to take along a an empty toilet paper roll when shopping. If a toy fits through it or has parts that come off and then fits, it’s not safe.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees