Every year families in Arizona are helped by the St. Mary’s Food Bank, especially with turkeys at Thanksgiving.
More than 1,600 holiday food boxes were distributed from the Knight Transportation Client Services Center on Tuesday, bringing the total for the last two days to more than 3,000 boxes.
The number of turkeys given out in the last week is now upwards of 5,000. The food bank is still in need of about 800 turkeys to reach their goal of 7,000.
The need for turkeys is up 10 percent from this time last year.
“We’re very far behind [and] the big concern right now is with the amount of people we’re seeing the first two days, [Wednesday] we might not have enough turkeys to give away,” said food bank spokesman Jerry Brown.
There are people who used to donate who now need help, according to Brown.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier