Every year families in Arizona are helped by the St. Mary’s Food Bank, especially with turkeys at Thanksgiving.
More than 1,600 holiday food boxes were distributed from the Knight Transportation Client Services Center on Tuesday, bringing the total for the last two days to more than 3,000 boxes.
The number of turkeys given out in the last week is now upwards of 5,000. The food bank is still in need of about 800 turkeys to reach their goal of 7,000.
The need for turkeys is up 10 percent from this time last year.
“We’re very far behind [and] the big concern right now is with the amount of people we’re seeing the first two days, [Wednesday] we might not have enough turkeys to give away,” said food bank spokesman Jerry Brown.
There are people who used to donate who now need help, according to Brown.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy