Every year families in Arizona are helped by the St. Mary’s Food Bank, especially with turkeys at Thanksgiving.
More than 1,600 holiday food boxes were distributed from the Knight Transportation Client Services Center on Tuesday, bringing the total for the last two days to more than 3,000 boxes.
The number of turkeys given out in the last week is now upwards of 5,000. The food bank is still in need of about 800 turkeys to reach their goal of 7,000.
The need for turkeys is up 10 percent from this time last year.
“We’re very far behind [and] the big concern right now is with the amount of people we’re seeing the first two days, [Wednesday] we might not have enough turkeys to give away,” said food bank spokesman Jerry Brown.
There are people who used to donate who now need help, according to Brown.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development