During the holidays, scammers use ATMs in an attempt to steal both money and identities from unsuspecting consumers, the Arizona Better Business Bureau said.
One way thieves steal information is by mounting tiny cameras on stand-alone ATMs.
“We recommend going to an ATM that is located within a bank location or branch,” said Myriam Cruz with the Arizona BBB. “Try not to use the stand-alone ATMs that are poorly lit or they’re away from the stores or where consumers normally transit.”
Thieves also can replace the ATM PIN pad with a false one.
“If it doesn’t look right, just give it a wiggle to see if it’s loose,” said Cruz, adding that the proper PIN pad will fit snugly.
In addition to covering the PIN when entering the number, Cruz said consumers should keep a close eye on their statements and contact their bank if they notice anything out of the ordinary.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night