During the holidays, scammers use ATMs in an attempt to steal both money and identities from unsuspecting consumers, the Arizona Better Business Bureau said.
One way thieves steal information is by mounting tiny cameras on stand-alone ATMs.
“We recommend going to an ATM that is located within a bank location or branch,” said Myriam Cruz with the Arizona BBB. “Try not to use the stand-alone ATMs that are poorly lit or they’re away from the stores or where consumers normally transit.”
Thieves also can replace the ATM PIN pad with a false one.
“If it doesn’t look right, just give it a wiggle to see if it’s loose,” said Cruz, adding that the proper PIN pad will fit snugly.
In addition to covering the PIN when entering the number, Cruz said consumers should keep a close eye on their statements and contact their bank if they notice anything out of the ordinary.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon