During the holidays, scammers use ATMs in an attempt to steal both money and identities from unsuspecting consumers, the Arizona Better Business Bureau said.
One way thieves steal information is by mounting tiny cameras on stand-alone ATMs.
“We recommend going to an ATM that is located within a bank location or branch,” said Myriam Cruz with the Arizona BBB. “Try not to use the stand-alone ATMs that are poorly lit or they’re away from the stores or where consumers normally transit.”
Thieves also can replace the ATM PIN pad with a false one.
“If it doesn’t look right, just give it a wiggle to see if it’s loose,” said Cruz, adding that the proper PIN pad will fit snugly.
In addition to covering the PIN when entering the number, Cruz said consumers should keep a close eye on their statements and contact their bank if they notice anything out of the ordinary.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier