PHOENIX — Thousands of dollars in surplus and overstock medical supplies sit in a Tempe warehouse, waiting for shipment around the world.
It’s the everyday collection for Project C.U.R.E., a nonprofit that gathers products and machines from Valley hospitals and clinics which would have been thrown out due to their retirement, replacement or re-order.
“Last fiscal year, we took in 3.65 million pounds of usable medical surplus,” said executive director Melissa Gable. “That’s stuff that would have been thrown away or placed in a landfill.”
Shipments to hospitals in places such as Uganda and Panama are sent based on need and site visits by Project officials. They determine what needs to be shipped in the semi-truck-sized containers, such as specialized MRI machines and hospital beds.
“And then the basics we take for granted here, such as gauze and disposable gloves,” said Gable. “In a lot of countries they are actually reusing those types of things.”
It costs $20,000 to ship each container. Volunteers are needed to sort the donations.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas