PHOENIX — Thousands of dollars in surplus and overstock medical supplies sit in a Tempe warehouse, waiting for shipment around the world.
It’s the everyday collection for Project C.U.R.E., a nonprofit that gathers products and machines from Valley hospitals and clinics which would have been thrown out due to their retirement, replacement or re-order.
“Last fiscal year, we took in 3.65 million pounds of usable medical surplus,” said executive director Melissa Gable. “That’s stuff that would have been thrown away or placed in a landfill.”
Shipments to hospitals in places such as Uganda and Panama are sent based on need and site visits by Project officials. They determine what needs to be shipped in the semi-truck-sized containers, such as specialized MRI machines and hospital beds.
“And then the basics we take for granted here, such as gauze and disposable gloves,” said Gable. “In a lot of countries they are actually reusing those types of things.”
It costs $20,000 to ship each container. Volunteers are needed to sort the donations.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food