PHOENIX — Valley emergency room staffs said they are ready for Thanksgiving, one of the busiest days of the year for emergency medical treatment centers.
Maricopa Medical Center R.N. Ken Daniels said the patients they see range from burn injuries to people with food poisoning. In many cases those taken ill are people breaking their diet and stuffing themselve. In some cases, overdoing on turkey can lead to heart attacks.
“We see people not taking care of themselves; the immortality gene where people think they’ll live forever,” he said.
Holiday stress adds fuel to the fire.
Cooking mishaps are another common holiday injury: people cut themselves carving up the bird or have turkey fryer accidents that can leave serious burns.
“First- and second-degree burns are the most painful,” he said. “Third-degree burns aren’t as painful because you’ve burned the nerve endings but that is the most dangerous, the most life-threatening.”
Another concern is sprains, strains and fractures from sports-related injuries as folks head outdoors.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees