For 36 days, Phoenix police searched for 35-year-old Angel Padilla.
With the help of friends and acquaintances, he managed to avoid capture until Sunday night when SWAT members surrounded a house near 91st Ave and Palm Lane and Padilla surrendered without a fight.
“He looked defeated, exhausted,” said Sgt. Steve Martos. “Like he just wanted to get this over with.”
The trouble started Oct. 13, when police say Padilla allegedly kidnapped his estranged partner from her home near 67th Ave. and Buckeye Road. Not long after, an officer who hadn’t yet heard about the kidnapping reported Padilla running a stop sign. When the officer tried to stop Padilla, he said Padilla got out of the car and fired multiple rounds from an assault rifle. The officer was not hurt and his estranged partner managed to get away with minor injuries.
Investigators credit detectives, the community and Silent Witness for eventually leading them to Padilla. He faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges, with more expected.
Police said he is an investigative lead in at least home invasions, one which included a man beaten to death.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon