For 36 days, Phoenix police searched for 35-year-old Angel Padilla.
With the help of friends and acquaintances, he managed to avoid capture until Sunday night when SWAT members surrounded a house near 91st Ave and Palm Lane and Padilla surrendered without a fight.
“He looked defeated, exhausted,” said Sgt. Steve Martos. “Like he just wanted to get this over with.”
The trouble started Oct. 13, when police say Padilla allegedly kidnapped his estranged partner from her home near 67th Ave. and Buckeye Road. Not long after, an officer who hadn’t yet heard about the kidnapping reported Padilla running a stop sign. When the officer tried to stop Padilla, he said Padilla got out of the car and fired multiple rounds from an assault rifle. The officer was not hurt and his estranged partner managed to get away with minor injuries.
Investigators credit detectives, the community and Silent Witness for eventually leading them to Padilla. He faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges, with more expected.
Police said he is an investigative lead in at least home invasions, one which included a man beaten to death.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees