For 36 days, Phoenix police searched for 35-year-old Angel Padilla.
With the help of friends and acquaintances, he managed to avoid capture until Sunday night when SWAT members surrounded a house near 91st Ave and Palm Lane and Padilla surrendered without a fight.
“He looked defeated, exhausted,” said Sgt. Steve Martos. “Like he just wanted to get this over with.”
The trouble started Oct. 13, when police say Padilla allegedly kidnapped his estranged partner from her home near 67th Ave. and Buckeye Road. Not long after, an officer who hadn’t yet heard about the kidnapping reported Padilla running a stop sign. When the officer tried to stop Padilla, he said Padilla got out of the car and fired multiple rounds from an assault rifle. The officer was not hurt and his estranged partner managed to get away with minor injuries.
Investigators credit detectives, the community and Silent Witness for eventually leading them to Padilla. He faces attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons charges, with more expected.
Police said he is an investigative lead in at least home invasions, one which included a man beaten to death.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food