Hundreds of trees have been moved into a 15-acre vacant lot at Central and Indian School next to Steele Indian School Park and a future food garden land has been tilled up for Phoenix Renews.
Jim Burke with the city of Phoenix said the project is a partnership between Keep Phoenix Beautiful and property owner Barron Collier Companies.
“We’d like to export this idea to other vacant lots in the city to make them interesting and viable in the short term.”
The project is short term because the end goal is to attract redevelopment in the future.
The urban community farm will be used to support non-profits, communities and Valley refugees. The land will also be used to teach children about gardening and recycling along with energy and water use.
The plan also includes therapy gardens for autistic children and our veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The project is the largest transformation of vacant land in the country.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night