Hundreds of trees have been moved into a 15-acre vacant lot at Central and Indian School next to Steele Indian School Park and a future food garden land has been tilled up for Phoenix Renews.
Jim Burke with the city of Phoenix said the project is a partnership between Keep Phoenix Beautiful and property owner Barron Collier Companies.
“We’d like to export this idea to other vacant lots in the city to make them interesting and viable in the short term.”
The project is short term because the end goal is to attract redevelopment in the future.
The urban community farm will be used to support non-profits, communities and Valley refugees. The land will also be used to teach children about gardening and recycling along with energy and water use.
The plan also includes therapy gardens for autistic children and our veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The project is the largest transformation of vacant land in the country.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development