Hundreds of trees have been moved into a 15-acre vacant lot at Central and Indian School next to Steele Indian School Park and a future food garden land has been tilled up for Phoenix Renews.
Jim Burke with the city of Phoenix said the project is a partnership between Keep Phoenix Beautiful and property owner Barron Collier Companies.
“We’d like to export this idea to other vacant lots in the city to make them interesting and viable in the short term.”
The project is short term because the end goal is to attract redevelopment in the future.
The urban community farm will be used to support non-profits, communities and Valley refugees. The land will also be used to teach children about gardening and recycling along with energy and water use.
The plan also includes therapy gardens for autistic children and our veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
The project is the largest transformation of vacant land in the country.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food