PHOENIX — When you grab that Thanksgiving turkey at the grocery store, you can buy with confidence, according to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. The state agency is responsible for ensuring you are being charged the right amount at supermarkets and other places.
State workers checked more than 2,000 turkeys at 14 chains in Arizona, including Albertson’s, Basha’s, El Super, Food City, Fresh and Easy, Fry’s, Grocery Outlet, Iga-El Rancho, Safeway, Smart and Final, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Wal-Mart and WinCo.
Inspectors removed leg bands, metal clips, wire mesh, gravy bags, giblet bags and pop up timers and weighed each bird. Then, they compared the weight with the weight on the label. No civil penalties were cited and, according to an agency news release, all stores indicated strong compliance scores on turkey pricing and accurate weight.
The tests are about more than making sure you get your money’s worth. Because weights are often used to calculate cooking times, the wrong weight could mean undercooked meat.
More on the inspections at www.azdwm.gov.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments