PHOENIX — When you grab that Thanksgiving turkey at the grocery store, you can buy with confidence, according to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. The state agency is responsible for ensuring you are being charged the right amount at supermarkets and other places.
State workers checked more than 2,000 turkeys at 14 chains in Arizona, including Albertson’s, Basha’s, El Super, Food City, Fresh and Easy, Fry’s, Grocery Outlet, Iga-El Rancho, Safeway, Smart and Final, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Wal-Mart and WinCo.
Inspectors removed leg bands, metal clips, wire mesh, gravy bags, giblet bags and pop up timers and weighed each bird. Then, they compared the weight with the weight on the label. No civil penalties were cited and, according to an agency news release, all stores indicated strong compliance scores on turkey pricing and accurate weight.
The tests are about more than making sure you get your money’s worth. Because weights are often used to calculate cooking times, the wrong weight could mean undercooked meat.
More on the inspections at www.azdwm.gov.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food