PHOENIX — When you grab that Thanksgiving turkey at the grocery store, you can buy with confidence, according to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures. The state agency is responsible for ensuring you are being charged the right amount at supermarkets and other places.
State workers checked more than 2,000 turkeys at 14 chains in Arizona, including Albertson’s, Basha’s, El Super, Food City, Fresh and Easy, Fry’s, Grocery Outlet, Iga-El Rancho, Safeway, Smart and Final, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Wal-Mart and WinCo.
Inspectors removed leg bands, metal clips, wire mesh, gravy bags, giblet bags and pop up timers and weighed each bird. Then, they compared the weight with the weight on the label. No civil penalties were cited and, according to an agency news release, all stores indicated strong compliance scores on turkey pricing and accurate weight.
The tests are about more than making sure you get your money’s worth. Because weights are often used to calculate cooking times, the wrong weight could mean undercooked meat.
More on the inspections at www.azdwm.gov.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees