PHOENIX — The Valley’s smaller businesses hope shoppers remember them during the holiday spending season.
This week’s national Small Business Saturday should give consumers a good reminder. Many locally owned stores will offer deals for as much as 40 percent off.
Lacy Gambee, a spokeswoman for In the Pink Boutique, said the holiday season is big for small business owners.
“This is typically the time of year when their lines from red go to black,” Gambee told 92.3 KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend.”
This marks the third year of the event, which is meant to be an alternative to the large chain retailers’ much-hyped post-Thanksgiving Day sales.
“At the most basic level, when you buy local from an independently owned and operated business like Bashas’ or Harkins, more of your money stays in the state and in the community,” Gambee said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development