PHOENIX – The National Adoption Day event in Maricopa County on Saturday should be the largest adoption day event in the United States, according to the Superior Court.
A total of 350 children have found and will officially become part of their forever families. Last year, 320 kids were adopted into permanent, loving homes.
Kevin and Dyan Gay will be participating in the event and their story is one that is almost as unbelievable as it is remarkable.
The couple has four children from a previous marriage. They’ve adopted seven from the Arizona foster care system and will officially become the parents of seven more lovely children.
“You’re not going to find anything else in life that can give you as many blessings as this does,” Dyan Gay said.
She said watching these children grow and change is amazing, considering many of them have had a very difficult start in life.
She does admit, however, there are challenges to raising so many children.
“You take a breath and remember just where they came from and far they’ve come. Without the adoption process, our lives would be so empty,” she added.
Meanwhile, Kevin Gay, said it’s his calling to give these children a loving and stable home.
“We pour as much love as we know how to into the lives of these kids. That love returns, the blessings come back tenfold,” he said.
Kathryn Pidgeon, co-chair of the Maricopa County National Adoption Day Foundation said in a press release, more children have entered Arizona’s foster care system in recent years.
“The number of foster children in Arizona has spiked over the last few years,” Pidgeon said. “Right now, there are more than 13,000 children in the foster care system in Arizona. “Of those children, 4,000 kids are eligible for adoption, waiting for homes.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night