PHOENIX – The National Adoption Day event in Maricopa County on Saturday should be the largest adoption day event in the United States, according to the Superior Court.
A total of 350 children have found and will officially become part of their forever families. Last year, 320 kids were adopted into permanent, loving homes.
Kevin and Dyan Gay will be participating in the event and their story is one that is almost as unbelievable as it is remarkable.
The couple has four children from a previous marriage. They’ve adopted seven from the Arizona foster care system and will officially become the parents of seven more lovely children.
“You’re not going to find anything else in life that can give you as many blessings as this does,” Dyan Gay said.
She said watching these children grow and change is amazing, considering many of them have had a very difficult start in life.
She does admit, however, there are challenges to raising so many children.
“You take a breath and remember just where they came from and far they’ve come. Without the adoption process, our lives would be so empty,” she added.
Meanwhile, Kevin Gay, said it’s his calling to give these children a loving and stable home.
“We pour as much love as we know how to into the lives of these kids. That love returns, the blessings come back tenfold,” he said.
Kathryn Pidgeon, co-chair of the Maricopa County National Adoption Day Foundation said in a press release, more children have entered Arizona’s foster care system in recent years.
“The number of foster children in Arizona has spiked over the last few years,” Pidgeon said. “Right now, there are more than 13,000 children in the foster care system in Arizona. “Of those children, 4,000 kids are eligible for adoption, waiting for homes.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon