It may be getting chilly outside, but that won’t stop an expected 1,500 people from running in their underwear on Saturday to stop colon cancer.
Terry Baack with the race said this year’s event is raising funds for both research and to help those who can’t afford screenings.
“(Colon Cancer Alliance) also do a lot of outreach and education, because colon cancer is a little bit of an uncomfortable subject,” she said. “That’s why we kind of do this lighthearted event where we get out in our undies and get people talking about it.”
Baack said 50 percent of the funds raised will remain in Arizona.
Online registration is closed but there is still time to sign up on-site at the State Capitol after 7 a.m. Saturday. The 5K run begins at 9 a.m.
Free boxer shorts will be made available.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night