PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters say their efforts to save four puppies that
were pulled from a burning home were unsuccessful.
The fire started Thursday morning in the home’s garage, possibly by a woman living illegally in the home.
“We believe that there’s a good possibility that she was squatting in the home,” said Phoenix Fire Cpt. Jonathon Jacobs. “In the garage area she possibly made a warming fire and that she had these puppies with her and this fire got out of control.”
The woman escaped with one puppy.
Neighbors say a resident went into the home to try to save the puppies. Firefighters used special pet masks and oxygen on the others, but Jacobs says they died
of smoke inhalation.
It also appears that there was a delay in authorities being called.
“There was definitely a delay in the 911 process,” said Jacobs. “This fire had went through an attic area, burnt through a roof with shingles on it, there was a delay there and that calling of 911 is really important.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon