PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters say their efforts to save four puppies that
were pulled from a burning home were unsuccessful.
The fire started Thursday morning in the home’s garage, possibly by a woman living illegally in the home.
“We believe that there’s a good possibility that she was squatting in the home,” said Phoenix Fire Cpt. Jonathon Jacobs. “In the garage area she possibly made a warming fire and that she had these puppies with her and this fire got out of control.”
The woman escaped with one puppy.
Neighbors say a resident went into the home to try to save the puppies. Firefighters used special pet masks and oxygen on the others, but Jacobs says they died
of smoke inhalation.
It also appears that there was a delay in authorities being called.
“There was definitely a delay in the 911 process,” said Jacobs. “This fire had went through an attic area, burnt through a roof with shingles on it, there was a delay there and that calling of 911 is really important.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night