A driver in a maroon minivan led officers on a chase through the Valley Thursday afternoon for more than an hour before giving up.
The chase started around 1 p.m. and the van hit speeds of about 80 miles per hour going through Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale.
The driver, identified as 18-year-old Christian Barron, surrendered in Phoenix, near Seventh and Tonto streets. The van pulled to the side of the road, the person got out and laid down and was quickly surrounded by officers.
According to the helicopter pilot, DPS said the chase started north of the Valley on Interstate 17. On the ground police stopped pursuit almost immediately.
Barron allegedly traveled into Phoenix on the State Route 51 and then headed east on Loop 202. The van exited McKellips Road.
After driving through a neighborhood in Mesa, Barron was back on Country Club Drive, appearing to hit a silver pickup truck while doing so.
After driving north of Mesa and then west, back towards Phoenix, Barron went back on a freeway, this time the Loop 101 going south.
From there Barron exited at Southern Avenue, drove in Tempe neighborhoods and then was on the U.S. 60 going west and to Interstate 10 towards downtown Phoenix.
Barron, who had drugs on him and has outstanding warrants, was arrested along with a 25-year-old woman who was in the vehicle.
Police said Barron will face charges of theft of a means of transportation, possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful flight and outstanding warrant.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes