A driver in a maroon minivan led officers on a chase through the Valley Thursday afternoon for more than an hour before giving up.
The chase started around 1 p.m. and the van hit speeds of about 80 miles per hour going through Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale.
The driver, identified as 18-year-old Christian Barron, surrendered in Phoenix, near Seventh and Tonto streets. The van pulled to the side of the road, the person got out and laid down and was quickly surrounded by officers.
According to the helicopter pilot, DPS said the chase started north of the Valley on Interstate 17. On the ground police stopped pursuit almost immediately.
Barron allegedly traveled into Phoenix on the State Route 51 and then headed east on Loop 202. The van exited McKellips Road.
After driving through a neighborhood in Mesa, Barron was back on Country Club Drive, appearing to hit a silver pickup truck while doing so.
After driving north of Mesa and then west, back towards Phoenix, Barron went back on a freeway, this time the Loop 101 going south.
From there Barron exited at Southern Avenue, drove in Tempe neighborhoods and then was on the U.S. 60 going west and to Interstate 10 towards downtown Phoenix.
Barron, who had drugs on him and has outstanding warrants, was arrested along with a 25-year-old woman who was in the vehicle.
Police said Barron will face charges of theft of a means of transportation, possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful flight and outstanding warrant.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon