A driver in a maroon minivan led officers on a chase through the Valley Thursday afternoon for more than an hour before giving up.
The chase started around 1 p.m. and the van hit speeds of about 80 miles per hour going through Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale.
The driver, identified as 18-year-old Christian Barron, surrendered in Phoenix, near Seventh and Tonto streets. The van pulled to the side of the road, the person got out and laid down and was quickly surrounded by officers.
According to the helicopter pilot, DPS said the chase started north of the Valley on Interstate 17. On the ground police stopped pursuit almost immediately.
Barron allegedly traveled into Phoenix on the State Route 51 and then headed east on Loop 202. The van exited McKellips Road.
After driving through a neighborhood in Mesa, Barron was back on Country Club Drive, appearing to hit a silver pickup truck while doing so.
After driving north of Mesa and then west, back towards Phoenix, Barron went back on a freeway, this time the Loop 101 going south.
From there Barron exited at Southern Avenue, drove in Tempe neighborhoods and then was on the U.S. 60 going west and to Interstate 10 towards downtown Phoenix.
Barron, who had drugs on him and has outstanding warrants, was arrested along with a 25-year-old woman who was in the vehicle.
Police said Barron will face charges of theft of a means of transportation, possession of drug paraphernalia, unlawful flight and outstanding warrant.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas