Thursday is America Recycles Day and the city of Phoenix marked the occasion by honoring a westside school for its efforts to recycle plastic bags.
Tumbleweed Elementary School received a $1,000 check from Bashas and students also had cookies at City Hall with Mayor Greg Stanton for winning a recycling contest.
“This school did over 100,000 bags,” said Stanton. “They were the number one school in the entire city.”
The celebration marks the fifth anniversary of Phoenix’s Bag Central Station program, which encourages you to take reusable bags with you to the grocery store.
“If you do get plastic bags, bring them back to the grocery store and they can recycle them,” Stanton said. “It can’t be recycled through the normal city system, but through the grocery stores themselves.”
Stanton said if residents put the plastic bags in the blue can at home, they just end up in a city landfill.
Phoenix also announced a new recycling program that is introducing options for diverting food waster from businesses on Roosevelt Row, a cultural district in downtown Phoenix.
There are Bag Central Stations in every grocery store in Phoenix.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments