Thursday is America Recycles Day and the city of Phoenix marked the occasion by honoring a westside school for its efforts to recycle plastic bags.
Tumbleweed Elementary School received a $1,000 check from Bashas and students also had cookies at City Hall with Mayor Greg Stanton for winning a recycling contest.
“This school did over 100,000 bags,” said Stanton. “They were the number one school in the entire city.”
The celebration marks the fifth anniversary of Phoenix’s Bag Central Station program, which encourages you to take reusable bags with you to the grocery store.
“If you do get plastic bags, bring them back to the grocery store and they can recycle them,” Stanton said. “It can’t be recycled through the normal city system, but through the grocery stores themselves.”
Stanton said if residents put the plastic bags in the blue can at home, they just end up in a city landfill.
Phoenix also announced a new recycling program that is introducing options for diverting food waster from businesses on Roosevelt Row, a cultural district in downtown Phoenix.
There are Bag Central Stations in every grocery store in Phoenix.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon