Thursday is America Recycles Day and the city of Phoenix marked the occasion by honoring a westside school for its efforts to recycle plastic bags.
Tumbleweed Elementary School received a $1,000 check from Bashas and students also had cookies at City Hall with Mayor Greg Stanton for winning a recycling contest.
“This school did over 100,000 bags,” said Stanton. “They were the number one school in the entire city.”
The celebration marks the fifth anniversary of Phoenix’s Bag Central Station program, which encourages you to take reusable bags with you to the grocery store.
“If you do get plastic bags, bring them back to the grocery store and they can recycle them,” Stanton said. “It can’t be recycled through the normal city system, but through the grocery stores themselves.”
Stanton said if residents put the plastic bags in the blue can at home, they just end up in a city landfill.
Phoenix also announced a new recycling program that is introducing options for diverting food waster from businesses on Roosevelt Row, a cultural district in downtown Phoenix.
There are Bag Central Stations in every grocery store in Phoenix.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.