Thursday is America Recycles Day and the city of Phoenix marked the occasion by honoring a westside school for its efforts to recycle plastic bags.
Tumbleweed Elementary School received a $1,000 check from Bashas and students also had cookies at City Hall with Mayor Greg Stanton for winning a recycling contest.
“This school did over 100,000 bags,” said Stanton. “They were the number one school in the entire city.”
The celebration marks the fifth anniversary of Phoenix’s Bag Central Station program, which encourages you to take reusable bags with you to the grocery store.
“If you do get plastic bags, bring them back to the grocery store and they can recycle them,” Stanton said. “It can’t be recycled through the normal city system, but through the grocery stores themselves.”
Stanton said if residents put the plastic bags in the blue can at home, they just end up in a city landfill.
Phoenix also announced a new recycling program that is introducing options for diverting food waster from businesses on Roosevelt Row, a cultural district in downtown Phoenix.
There are Bag Central Stations in every grocery store in Phoenix.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees