There’s almost nothing better than deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving but firefighters deal with emergencies every year because people were careless.
With Turkey Day only a week away, Phoenix Fire offered some facts and safety tips.
There are 150,000 cooking-related structure fires each year in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control, cooking is the main cause of house fires.
With turkey frying, Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said the oil boils at 350 degrees and can cause second- and third- degree burns to a person in addition to house fires.
He said one of the biggest mistake people make is overfilling the fryer with oil, which spills over and catches fire from the burner.
Another error in judgment is dropping a frozen turkey into the fryer.
“Unthawed turkeys react violently with the oil,” he said. They explode.
Fryers should be set up in an open area — nothing above or around it that could catch fire.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy