Although the number of child related deaths have declined in the last six years, a new report showed an increase in suicides.
The Arizona Department of Health Services 19th Annual Child Fatality Review Report showed 39 children died in 2011 by suicide compared to 24 children in 2010.
Although Arizona has had 30 percent fewer child fatalities since 2005, a reported total of 837 children in 2011 died.
The report also showed that 94 percent of the 32 drowning death in 2011 were preventable.
From the 16 fatalities of this year, nine had no prior Child Protective Services reports. It was also reported that 14 of the 71 maltreatment cases in 2011 were never reported to CPS.
The report highlights community recommendations to reduce the number of children that die in Arizona.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food