Although the number of child related deaths have declined in the last six years, a new report showed an increase in suicides.
The Arizona Department of Health Services 19th Annual Child Fatality Review Report showed 39 children died in 2011 by suicide compared to 24 children in 2010.
Although Arizona has had 30 percent fewer child fatalities since 2005, a reported total of 837 children in 2011 died.
The report also showed that 94 percent of the 32 drowning death in 2011 were preventable.
From the 16 fatalities of this year, nine had no prior Child Protective Services reports. It was also reported that 14 of the 71 maltreatment cases in 2011 were never reported to CPS.
The report highlights community recommendations to reduce the number of children that die in Arizona.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America