An Tucson exotic dancer was arrested Friday for allegedly attempting to smuggle six illegal immigrants to Phoenix, the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Deputies contacted Maria Bustamante, 33, after she allegedly made several traffic violations. When deputies approached the vehicle, they noted that it contained six men who all appeared nervous.
Bustamante said she was giving her friends a ride to Phoenix, but could not name them when asked. Deputies then questioned each man and determined they were all illegal immigrants who had paid between $40 and $200 for a ride into Phoenix. Three men had been deported before and one admitted to have previously smuggled marijuana.
Bustamante told deputies she planned to drop the men off in Phoenix before driving to Texas, where the father of her children is incarcerated. She also claimed that a friend asked her to drive the men, but that she knew that they were in the country illegally.
Bustamante was charged with six counts of human smuggling. Her vehicle and the $1,000 cash she had were seized by deputies.
All six men were turned over the Border Patrol.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon