An Tucson exotic dancer was arrested Friday for allegedly attempting to smuggle six illegal immigrants to Phoenix, the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Deputies contacted Maria Bustamante, 33, after she allegedly made several traffic violations. When deputies approached the vehicle, they noted that it contained six men who all appeared nervous.
Bustamante said she was giving her friends a ride to Phoenix, but could not name them when asked. Deputies then questioned each man and determined they were all illegal immigrants who had paid between $40 and $200 for a ride into Phoenix. Three men had been deported before and one admitted to have previously smuggled marijuana.
Bustamante told deputies she planned to drop the men off in Phoenix before driving to Texas, where the father of her children is incarcerated. She also claimed that a friend asked her to drive the men, but that she knew that they were in the country illegally.
Bustamante was charged with six counts of human smuggling. Her vehicle and the $1,000 cash she had were seized by deputies.
All six men were turned over the Border Patrol.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl