MESA, Ariz. — Ronald McDonald is jumping for joy.
The famous clown, the public face of McDonald’s hamburger chain, attended the announcement of a new Ronald McDonald house to be built at Cardon Children’s Medical Center in Mesa.
It will be the Valley’s third Ronald McDonald House.
“We’ll be able to serve the families from Cardon Children’s Medical Center, which has always been a great need,” said Nancy Roach, executive director of Ronald McDonald Charities.
The house provides families with a place to stay while their seriously ill child is hospitalized.
“For them to have a place to lay their head at night and talk to other families that are going through what they’re going through and not worry about where their next meal is going to be is an incredible support to these families,” said Roach.
The $2.1 million dollar house is being financed through private donations. The Gila River Indian Community has donated $500,000 of the nearly $1 million dollars that has been raised so far.
When completed next June, the house will feature three apartments with kitchens for families with children with suppressed immune systems.
It will also have 16 bedrooms, a community kitchen and dining room, a play area for children and an outdoor area for adults.
Roach said several Ronald McDonald House families have become success stories. One of them is Christy, a girl she met 11 years ago.
“Christy was 3 years old and had leukemia,”said Roach. “About two to three weeks ago, a family appeared at the front desk and asked for me. When I went out there, it was Christy. She’s 14 now, and has a beautiful head of hair and has turned into a beautiful young woman.”
The Valley’s two other Ronald McDonald Houses are at Fifth Street near Thomas Road in Phoenix and at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered