MESA, Ariz. — Ronald McDonald is jumping for joy.
The famous clown, the public face of McDonald’s hamburger chain, attended the announcement of a new Ronald McDonald house to be built at Cardon Children’s Medical Center in Mesa.
It will be the Valley’s third Ronald McDonald House.
“We’ll be able to serve the families from Cardon Children’s Medical Center, which has always been a great need,” said Nancy Roach, executive director of Ronald McDonald Charities.
The house provides families with a place to stay while their seriously ill child is hospitalized.
“For them to have a place to lay their head at night and talk to other families that are going through what they’re going through and not worry about where their next meal is going to be is an incredible support to these families,” said Roach.
The $2.1 million dollar house is being financed through private donations. The Gila River Indian Community has donated $500,000 of the nearly $1 million dollars that has been raised so far.
When completed next June, the house will feature three apartments with kitchens for families with children with suppressed immune systems.
It will also have 16 bedrooms, a community kitchen and dining room, a play area for children and an outdoor area for adults.
Roach said several Ronald McDonald House families have become success stories. One of them is Christy, a girl she met 11 years ago.
“Christy was 3 years old and had leukemia,”said Roach. “About two to three weeks ago, a family appeared at the front desk and asked for me. When I went out there, it was Christy. She’s 14 now, and has a beautiful head of hair and has turned into a beautiful young woman.”
The Valley’s two other Ronald McDonald Houses are at Fifth Street near Thomas Road in Phoenix and at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.