It’s not just turkey that people will take a bite out of this holiday season. The increase of seasonal jobs offers an alternative — albeit only a short-team one — to the financial starvation of their pocketbooks.
Financially, Christmas can be a strain on families, a recent article by MoneyNing pointed out. The average American is expected to spend $750 on Christmas this year. Here are four temporary opportunities to help foot that bill — or pay for other bills:
Approximately 585,000 to 625,000 seasonal workers are estimated to be hired this year by major retailing stores, including Target, Macy’s, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us and Kohl’s.
With loved ones far away and an increase in online shopping, UPS and FedEx are expected to hire 20,000 to 55,000 temporary employees.
As Christmas merriment increases, apparently American’s hunger does as well and restaurant business increases. Because of tips, food service can financially be the most beneficial seasonal job.
Be creative in services you offer. If time and family do not allow for an official seasonal job, look into neighborhood services such as shoveling snow, wrapping gifts, baby, pet or house-sitting, or making Christmas goodies.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night