It’s not just turkey that people will take a bite out of this holiday season. The increase of seasonal jobs offers an alternative — albeit only a short-team one — to the financial starvation of their pocketbooks.
Financially, Christmas can be a strain on families, a recent article by MoneyNing pointed out. The average American is expected to spend $750 on Christmas this year. Here are four temporary opportunities to help foot that bill — or pay for other bills:
Approximately 585,000 to 625,000 seasonal workers are estimated to be hired this year by major retailing stores, including Target, Macy’s, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us and Kohl’s.
With loved ones far away and an increase in online shopping, UPS and FedEx are expected to hire 20,000 to 55,000 temporary employees.
As Christmas merriment increases, apparently American’s hunger does as well and restaurant business increases. Because of tips, food service can financially be the most beneficial seasonal job.
Be creative in services you offer. If time and family do not allow for an official seasonal job, look into neighborhood services such as shoveling snow, wrapping gifts, baby, pet or house-sitting, or making Christmas goodies.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl