Sunshine in Phoenix is not an obstacle to snow-plow driver training.
The Arizona Department of Transportation put about a dozen snow-plow operators through a refresher course Wednesday to prepare for winter-weather duties.
Drivers strapped into a simulator to re-familiarize themselves with operating machinery in snowy conditions.
“The simulator is a really a key part of our training,” said ADOT spokesman Doug Nintzel. “It
allows us to put our drivers through the scenarios they might face out there.”
Scenarios include black ice, animals on the road and tunnels.
Last year ADOT spent almost $8 million on snow removal and has replaced 16 snow plows in the fleet of 202 at the cost of about $250,000 apiece.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona